JIM BAKKER – THE PEDDLER OF FEAR

Posted: February 12, 2014 in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , , ,

Image

Fear mongering has always been an industry. Many people have made personal fortunes scaring others, and the church is not immune to this sort of thing; in fact, it is full of them. I’m talking about the people who constantly sell negativity and catastrophe, all the while preying on people’s emotions for the sole purpose of taking their money and giving them nothing valuable in return. In this case, we look no further than to Jim Bakker.

I need to make this very clear that in no way am I denigrating nor attacking Jim Bakker, the man as I am more addressing Jim Bakker the preacher and his teaching. The word says in 2 Peter 2:3 ” And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.” So what’s wrong with Jim Bakker and his push in selling Tribulation food? It’s based on fear.

Fear is a very powerful spirit, it’s one of the most often used spirits by Satan against both the saved and unsaved. When fear roots itself in the spirit of man, what occurs then is the person’s actions are not guided by logical thinking, or in the case of a born again believer, by the Spirit of God, but their actions are made based on a spirit of fear. For the believer, God has not ever, to this day, given the body of Christ a spirit of fear, 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” Yet because of fear and words laced with the same, believers equally become caught up in the rush of decision making, leaving out the direction of the Holy Spirit and substituting it with decisions made by the flesh, under the leading of the spirit of fear. This is not just wrong, it’s sin, because we are a new creature in Christ and because of our newness of being, we are guided (or should be) by the Holy Spirit, not by flesh. Yet, there are some who capitalize on this as a means to make money and this is where we will focus on Mr. Bakker.

Jim Bakker’s whole position when he comes speaking about the end times is where will the believer get food when the world is faced with the greatest trial known to man. It equally must be understood that Bakker does not hold to the teaching of a pre-tribulation rapture event, he has made it known that he is post-tribulation. That is to say, he (Bakker) believes that the church will go through the entire 7 year period where famine, wars, the mark of the beast will be subject to the Christian, and while that is his theological position and his right to it, where he errors in his actions is when he uses the future events as a means to an economic end. What I’m trying to say is, he’s making money (and a lot of it) off the hope that he will scare enough people into purchasing food to wait out this terrible time of Jacobs trouble. The problem is not so much is Jim right in his theological position, that’s not even the issue, the issue at hand is, is Jim Bakker right in his using a future situation to make a profit off of the people? The answer is no! He is not.

The truth is this, it all comes down to in whom will you trust? Will you trust a man whose only a man for your needs to be met? Or will you trust God? Think about it, what if someone is not financially able to buy 25 year life food? What about them? Where is their hope? Are we now dividing the line between the haves and the have not simply based on economic class? In other words, are the only ones who will “survive” some apocalyptic event in the future will be those who had the money to buy tribulation food? What does that say about God then? Is he not able to provide for his people in a time of hardship? The answer is yes! God will and shall provide for his people, regardless of what comes.

That’s the problem Jim Bakker is rejecting, complete reliance on God, but rather a dependence on self. That is the problem with the modern church today, too much dependence on self and not on God. When we get sick, we turn to the doctor, when we have a financial problem, we run to the bank, when we have marital problems we turn to counselors, and when we have spiritual problems we seek out the popular preacher. But never do we seek God and his ability to solve our problems – that’s the real problem.

Jim Bakker is manipulating people by and thru fear, not out of concern, if he was truly, genuinely, concerned for the people, he would not be seeking to profit from their fear, actually, he would instead be directing them to the cross, teaching them that faith in what Christ did on the cross will satisfy every need people have, not subjecting them to fear and propaganda that they need to buy their security, but trust God. This is the sign of someone whose heart has been influenced by the spirit of the world and by greed, nothing more.

Let me reassure the believer who might be concerned by the times we are living in and what they may be seeing in the world around them, God will always provide for his people – always. Did God not take care of his people in the wilderness? Did God not provide for the multitude when Christ blessed the 5 loaves and 2 fishes and yet the great multitude was fed? Did God not part the red sea, saving the nation of Israel from destruction? Did God not provide a coin in the mouth of a fish for Peter to pay the tax? Did God not provide the perfect sacrifice for the world, which was Christ, to save man from sin? If he is able to do these things, how much more will he do for them who believe?

We must walk by faith, not by sight (fleshly ways, i.e., human knowledge, education, human wisdom) trusting Christ every day for our substance. Now, Bakker’s argument would be that it is irresponsible for the believer not to prepare, but did not Christ say in Luke 9:3-4 “And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart.”

The fact is, we must trust God in these last days, not be swayed or enticed by words laced with fear, but in the knowledge that Jesus Christ has done all he has done – on the cross- to save us, keep us and provide for us through his Holy Spirit. If we begin to trust in our own abilities, our own power, our own means, then what we are really saying is God cannot truly provide for his people and we need to do something or add something to the promise of God to help us when we need him, or if we need him. God will not nor cannot honor such lack of faith, and that is exactly what it is – a lack of faith. Without faith, it is impossible then to please God.

Jim Bakker is simply deceiving the body of Christ by another means to generate finances, that’s all it is, and the sad fact is, many a believer is falling for it. But God sends a voice of reason to the sheep that says, “Trust in me, don’t trust in man, or your own ways, but trust in me.” Yet many will not listen to that voice because it’s easy to trust in self, it’s harder to trust in God, because many in the church have become conditioned to provide for themselves, trust in themselves and not walk by faith. Walking by faith is one of the most hardest things to do, yet it’s the only measure by which God will honor and bless – pure, simple faith. Jim Bakker is not offering you faith, he’s not offering you security in Christ, he’s offering you another way, another hope and another plan which has nothing to do with Christ, but in self. From this run, and run far away and run to the cross.

Comments
  1. jestolle says:

Thank you Christopher for your posts; the ones I have read are true and, I believe, a right now word from the Lord. It is sad that so many preachers are not speaking truth from the pulpit; many “Christians” are not even taught about the last days and how to be ready. The Cross of Christ and it being the object of our faith is the only way to live this life, trusting in God for our needs to be met!

• William Cook says:

Jestolle….you are absolutely right. Today’s so-called pastors\preachers never teach on end-time prophecies that id supposed to educate the believers as what is happening around them as the scriptures are fulfilled…but they are ignorant [and I don’t mean that in a insensitive manner] but it is a fact that many today don not understand the end times of Daniel and Revelation because they are not taught anything by pastors. My previous church I attended for 6 years the pastor did not once teach on Revelation. It was all these ear tickling sermons. Not once in 6 years did I experience any sinners come to salvation. Why? Because they do not preach the full counsel of God.

2. William Cook says:

These charlatans are so hooked on financial gain that they will use any tactic by twisting scripture to bleed the sheep of their very last bit of money. I thought he wrote a book, “I was wrong”. And here he is again doing what he did in the 70’s and 80’s.

William, We have no right to judge Jim’s heart. We may not agree with his teaching but only God knows the thoughts and intents of his heart. I believe Jim is my brother in Christ. He can be wrong about prepping but He stands firm on the gospel.

• William says:

Anonnymous… I agree that we can’t judge Jim Bakker’s heart…only God can do that. But we can judge them by their fruits. So the question here is what is the intention of Jim Bakker, is it all for financial gain. I believe it is!! Show me one televangelist today who does not do what they do for financial gain. As you know a leopard does not change its spots. It may change it’s attack tactics but the spots stay the same. I am disgusted when I look at some of these so-called preachers and the tactics they use to gain financially…because hey, isn’t it all about the money, I’m sure you will agree on that. Jim Bakker may have changed his tactics but the game is still the same….al about money!! Two scriptures that have come to mind to describe these leopards, ‘Mat_7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
        Mat_7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. NO!! I’m NOT JUDGING Jim Bakker’s…but I am judging righteously his intent…which is MONEY!!

William, my name is Elaine. I didn’t realize I would come up anonymous. God says we do not know the thoughts and intents of someone hearts.

I absolutely agree that there are televangelists who are charlatans. But to say someone’s motive is this or that we cannot judge. We can judge the teaching and reject it.
        It is possible to be wrong in our head but right in our heart. It can be from outright ignorance or directly trying to deceive another. It can be out of greed or simply immature thinking or lack of faith. God only knows that. Yes by their fruits we know them not by judging their heart. Things are not always as they appear to be.
        Is it possible that Jim Bakker truly believes he is warning people and doesn’t want them to be left unprepared. How do you know that he is acting out of an evil heart or a fearful heart?
        I believe he is promoting fear because of his own fear but who can say it is for money?
        He is my brother in Christ…….he has never denied the truth of the gospel. I don’t agree with him and I expressed that by email……..but I love him as a brother. Until I hear him come out and deny the foundational truths of Christianity …..I will then call him a false teacher and charlatan.

• waycross1948 says:

WE CAN INDEED JUDGE JIM BAKKER!! And, we are mandated by God to do so. We must judge those in leadership over us, those who set themselves up as God’s representatives to the Church. So, we can and we must judge Jim Bakker and others by what they teach, what their goals are, and what they do with the money they take from their followers. Jim Bakker is doing just what he did before but this time he’s using a message of FEAR to do it. And we all know that fear is NOT of God! He’s bilking his followers out of their MONEY! I was sincerely hoping he had changed. But I watched his show ONE time and realized that nothing was different, he was no different – same old song – different lyrics!!!

• phishing4men says:

And all the while still bilking innocent naive folk for their money as he has always done. William is not judging Bakkers heart, he is looking at his actions, which have remained consistent all thru his TV antics. You have to be blind not to see his push for money to continue his selfish lifestyle. The worst part he claims it was God’s idea to put him in prison to have time to study while it was his illegal activity, his crimes that landed him in prison. I still think of that poor young girl he disrespected and defiled getting her to give him oral sex, I would like to see some one stuff a hot potato in his lying mouth.

• waycross1948 says:

To, phishingformen– while I generally agree with your comment, one thing I learned is that Jessica Hahn was not the innocent young thing she claimed to be. JB was completely wrong but she was not the “lamb led to the slaughter”. Didn’t you see her parading before the press outside her house? Then came Playboy and Penthouse. Jim did a lot of terrible things but I think Jessica was pretty much an equal partner in this particular matter. as a church secretary myself, I would NEVER go into a pastor’s hotel room alone. She knew better.

3. moochie moo says:

Christopher you speak truths but they’re misapplied at times. You’re off base if you don’t think it is the will of God to be prepared. As the Word teaches us, when we see the evil day approaching we hide from it. “A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on , and are punished .” Even the ant knows instinctively to prepare for winter so while it’s summer she prepares her household. A lot of believers get deceived because they believe in the ‘prescribed Christian jargon, God’s gonna take care of us’ – a form of deceptive thinking therefore a lot will not be prepared when that day comes, they’ll be caught up in the hysteria, crying out to God (the last minute) to rescue them. If that’s how God works why warn people ahead of time?

Why do you think God forewarns His prophets to tell the people what is ahead? So they can be prayed up but without food, shelter, readiness for emergencies? He warns so that we are prepared in the full sense of the Word. Being prepared isn’t just having the knowledge of what’s coming – It’s also having the wherewithal to do something about it. What will you say that you warned people but discouraged them into getting food or necessities for survival of family and or friends just because you think someone is speaking ‘fear’ for financial gain? It is better to do something about it instead of speaking Christianese. God prepared Joseph for years of famine, that was a prophetic endeavor prompted by prophetic wisdom – ..Noah’s building of the Ark was prophetic action to a Word God gave Him… You’ve been given Words now what’s the action that goes with it.

I have met so many people tout God’s gonna take care of us and yet they see the day approaching and do nothing about preparedness. That is reckless reasoning. How do you justify that kind of reasoning when you endeavor everyday to see that your bills are paid, you get groceries, you put money away for emergencies and can’t fathom common sense into preparation. That’s why God is warning now!!!. You get food while there’s food to get, you get shelter and places prepared while you can. You listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit not just to relate visions, dreams and prophecies; but the fullness of the Spirit is to exercise all that God has given…a spirit of wisdom = common sense. Or else we can all be like the people who were hungry to listen to Jesus that only the child had the sense to pack a lunch…We are to be prepared in the fullness of God’s Word.

I move in the prophetic as well; and I also have been given a ”sound mind’ which means common sense. I have an urgency to do all I can to be in the right place at the right time with preparedness. I cannot be one of those that will cry out to the Lord for help while summer is here to gather. I will have wasted God’s breath by warning people of danger, and, yet, I, myself didn’t prepare. Am I saying that I will not have to pray when those days of peril come. Yes I will increasingly so for divine protection for myself and loved ones and all those that God will put in my path. But I will not put myself in a position of rebuke or foolishness because i see the evil day coming and God’s going to take care of me; therefore I don’t have to prepare for it. We are to be prayed up and do all that we can to get ready. God honors faith and justifies our works of faith when we apply it..To do nothing is wrong.!

• Friend,
      You missed the spirit of this article completely. I’m not against someone keeping a supply of goods when necessary, that’s simple commonsense. What I attempted to relay was this, when the darkness overtakes this world (IF the church is still here – that is still a debate among believers) your food will not help you. I can state this with 100% truth because I am associated with those within Homeland Security and here’s what you don’t understand. If a major natural disaster occurs, you and your family will be forced to leave your residence. End of story. The laws are already in place that FEMA will dictate how and where you will live. Do you honestly believe (as Bakker does) you will be sitting in your home nice and comfy throughout this period of time which will be hell on earth?) you are simply deceived if you think that’s the case. I have spoken with Federal authorities, I get the private information, I have a family member within the political world and I can tell you right now, your food will not help you because what Bakker does not tell you is, it’s illegal to stock up more than 30 days of food – they will come and take it. Does Bakker tell you that? He should, but he won’t. Again, the SPIRIT of the letter is this, the day will come where EVERYTHING we need will have to come thru faith, everything. I personally do not believe the church will go thru the great wrath which is coming, it’s not sound doctrine, it’s not scripturally correct, so I’m looking to be removed by the rapture, not by eating 25 shelf life food. Where’s your faith?

• Beatty says:

Very well said Moochie Moo.
      Thank God Noah believed & it took him about two yrs to finish prepping, while all the others laughed & called him crazy. Same with Joseph, 7 yrs of storing up food for the famine yrs that laid ahead.
      The Holy Spirit has been speaking to many these days, telling them to prepare for what’s right around the corner. Some of these people here making comments are like the guy whose house was in a terrible flood where he had to go onto his roof for safety. He said to himself that God would save him. So along comes a boat & they tell him to hop in, but he says no thanks, God is going to save me. Later another rescue boat comes along & the same thing happens. Next a helicopter hoovers over him & try’s to rescue him but he refuses again. Finally he ends up dying on the roof top & goes to heaven. When he sees God he ask Him, Father what happened, I waited & waited for you to save me! And God said, I sent you 2 boats & a helicopter. Moral of the story, yes God will protect us, but we must listen to the Holy Spirit & let Him guide us. Jesus said in Luke 21:36, “Keep a constant watch. And pray that if possible you may arrive in my presence without having to experience these horrors”.

• You people crack me up. It’s now September 13th and NOTHING has happened, nor will it. So when this month goes by without nothing happening, I will be calling you a false prophet. But why wait- you’re a false prophet already.

4. Ken Row says:

Here’s an eye-opening exercise: search amazon.com for survival food. Everything that Bakker sells is available on-line from other vendors, but Bakker’s prices are considerably higher.

• S Williams says:

when I checked it was much lower…

That’s because Bakkers daily servings are only 500 calories compared to 2000 to 2300 as with most other company’s. I called and asked them. Notice they never tell you the calorie count.

thank you Moochi Moo!! If I do what God has told me I am suppose to do in being prepared. Even If I don’t get the use of them, God will lead others to were my supplies are hidden. Plus some of the comments in this review are not even correct, so who is really installing fear in people?

6. Mark says:

We are all in a vertical relationship with Jesus, not next to the throne and passing our information down to other beleivers, how to see things is up to each of us. You are saying things that are judging the heart which makes me wonder what is your ambition?, their are many catholics that have sacrificed all for Christ as protestants can you judge that group? I think you do even though probably have spent little time with them. Jesus isn’t your mind or your thoughts and if you choose to speak well on the argument of Jim Bakkers error, I wonder what is yours? Mark

• Not at all Mark. I have met MANY Catholics who do love and serve Christ, but the problem is they don’t leave the church, one cannot remain in darkness and expect to remain saved. If you sit under false teaching, that same teaching will once again begin to affect the truth they were initially given. As for Bakker, since when is it now forbidden to question leadership? Obviously you had no problem questioning (judging) me but I find it ironic that you condemn my judgment upon Bakker yet you pass the same judgment on me for simply doing what any good Bible student would do – examine what someone is teaching or doing in the name of Christ and then comparing it to the word. Did not the Bereans equally judge Paul’s words? I believe they did. I have no personal animosity toward Bakker, but he is using fear and events which are yet to unfold in this world to sell products, that’s wrong. That’s manipulating someone for gain via fear. Now, if he would just PREACH the gospel and trust God, that would be a different story altogether and I would not say a word, but he’s not doing that, he’s a religious infomercial for tribulation food – because it’s all about money.

• waycross48 says:

THANK YOU! As Christians we MUST question those under whom we place ourselves for guidance and ministry. Questioning a minister’s teaching is NOT gossiping, nor is it bad mouthing that man. It’s when Christians don’t question, that we end up with men like David Koresh and Jim Jones, leading us down the wrong path. Gave admonishes us to know those to whom we submit ourselves. It’s concerning when Christians fail to discern a teaching based solely on fear, such as JB is teaching; so obvioiusly seeking to separate us from our money (or rather, God’s money). Thank you, Christopher, for providing a format to discuss these issues that are so important to the Body of Christ. We suffer when even one of us is led astray by a false teaching. God Bless!

Good article Christopher. I cannot judge Jim Bakkers heart but his program is instilling fear. There is no way I can start to be concerned about prepping. I have a large family…..if God can’t take care of me in time of trouble I am finished. I put all my eggs in one basket……Jesus…….He has never failed me and He never will. Thanks for the article………it was uplifting. I just saw some stuff about the emp bomb……..90 percent will die over a two year period. Jim was talking about pacemakers not be able to function……hospital patients on machines will all die……planes falling out of the sky……Won’t be able to get the medicines you are now on…….a litany of horrors. Over 300 times in His Word God tells us to fear not. I will believe God.

8. waycross48 says:

Christopher, Thank you for a rational, well-balanced look at this issue with Jim Bakker. I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who are so ready to fall for another a ministry like this. I think that many of them don’t have a knowledge of basic Biblical truths or they would not be taken in by a teaching based solely on fear. We should all know that FEAR is not of God – therefore, this teaching cannnot be of God. It’s actually frightening to me that people are buying into this teaching – literally “buying” into it. I’ve always been taught and the Word tells us that the proof of a false prophet is that even ONE of their prophecies fail to materialize. From what I’ve read, JB’s foretelling of a great grain shortage has failed to come true. So, where does that leave him and his ministry. I so hoped that he had learned from past mistakes, but it seems he just gets drawn right back in to this type of thing. But the selling of fear is, in itself, frightening to me; that even one in the Body of Christ would get drawn into this false teaching. I won’t debate the “pre” or “post” rapture theory – but the Bible teaches ME that we will NOT be here for the Tribulation. May God speak to Jim’s heart and show him the error of this teaching and the great damage he’s doing to God’s people. God Bless!!

9. Lou says:

Left Behind’s Jerry Jenkins: Casino Hypocrite!

by Bruce Rockwell

Jerry Jenkins, board chairman of anti-casino gambling Moody Bible Institute, has been casino gambling while telling students they can’t!
    Jenkins (along with Tim LaHaye who’s been chummy with “blasphemous” Moonies!) knows how to make a fortune by promoting the pretribulation rapture!
    First, some background. As you may know, pretrib began in Scotland in 1830. The earliest developers, including Edward Irving and John Darby, admitted that it was then a totally new view that had never been part of any church’s theology.
    They also admitted that it had suddenly sprung from only OT and NT “types” and “symbols” and not from any clear Bible statement!
    As late as 1957, pretrib expert John Walvoord admitted in “The Rapture Question” (p. 148) that “pretribulationism” is NOT “an explicit teaching of Scripture”!
    Since the early 1900s pretrib has been sold by novelists like Sydney Watson (in 1913) and by Salem Kirban whose “Left Behind”-type novel “666” came out in 1970 – the same year Hal Lindsey’s “The Late Great Planet Earth” started breaking sales records.
    The very first rapture novel titled “Left Behind” came from the joint pens of Peter and Patti Lalonde in mid-1995 before LaHaye (and Jenkins) later came up with their novel title: “Left Behind”!
    The pretrib rapture view, which admittedly is only an “inference” and not “explicit,” rests basically on verses in John 14, I Thess. 4, and I Cor. 15, none of which have either a “taken/left” separation or exciting, nail-biting scenarios that can “sell” pretrib.
    An aspiring writer can go to Revelation’s action-packed chapters instead and realize they can be tied to end time details found basically in the Olivet Discourse.
    As you may know, pretribs believe in two stages; Stage 1 is the pretrib rapture which supposedly occurs several years before Stage 2 which is the posttrib second coming to earth.
    Since the three “rapture” chapters listed above don’t have any clear rapture-type separation between the “righteous” and the “wicked,” the best launching pad if one wants to be a bestselling author is “the one shall be taken, and the other left” phrase in Matt. 24:40, 41 and Luke 17:34-36.
    Trouble is, Dr. Walvoord and many other pretrib leaders declare that the “one taken” refers to the “wicked” taken in judgment while the “righteous” are left! But since the average pew-sitters don’t seem to know this, one can easily convince them that the “one taken” is a sort of code for an any-moment pretrib rapture!
    And pew-sitters don’t know that Walvoord etc. also teach that the same phrase is part of “non-imminent” Stage 2 which is posttrib (and not pretrib) and is on “Jewish” (and not “Church”) ground!
    In order to preserve and emphasize Stage 1 (the pretrib rapture), pretrib merchandisers in recent decades have been quietly stretching forward various aspects found in Stage 2 and applying them to Stage 1. Aspects include “the day of the Lord,” “God’s wrath,” “the taken/left phrase,” “the unknown day and hour,” and Christ’s coming “as a thief” (which in the Bible is always tied to Armageddon and other posttrib events).
    (For more on the above Google “The Correct Answer to Who’s Taken” etc. on Joe Ortiz’s blog of Apr. 12, 2010. Also Google “Pretrib Rapture Stealth.”)
    LaHaye and Jenkins, well aware of everything in this revealing paper, have used the pretrib rapture to break all-time sales records and make millions of dollars that are destined to be left behind!
    For more on them and their partners, Google “The ‘Left Behind’ Rupture,” “LaHaye’s Temperament,” “Jerry Jenkins Apologizes for Being Seen Gambling in Casinos,” “Pretrib Rapture Diehards,” “Thomas Ice (Bloopers),” “Walvoord Melts Ice,” “Famous Rapture Watchers,” “Margaret Macdonald’s Rapture Chart,” “Pretrib Rapture’s Missing Lines,” “Roots of Warlike Christian Zionism,” “Evangelicals Use Occult Deception,” “Pretrib Rapture Secrecy,” “Letter from Mrs. Billy Graham,” “Pretrib Rapture Politics” and “Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty.”
    In closing let me say that Jeremiah 17:11 warns that “he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days, and at his end shall be a fool.”
    And you can bet on this!

[The preceding piece was discovered on the big WWW. Interesting, right?]

I use to watch Jims show, but it is so depressing i stopped. What ever happened to the good news of jesus christ, everything that comes out of his mouth is so negative. Most of the old folks who watch his show, will be long dead before anything crazy happens. The bible says the world will never end, but if you listen to Jim its coming by this time next week. We all know he’s selling fear to build another PTL empire, hopefully those watching will wake up & read whats in the bible instead.

11. Diana says:

Finally someone speaks the truth about Jim Bakker. My mother has spent thousands of dollars believing his message of “fear” and I have boxes of tribulation food in my basement because I had to move my mom into assisted living. I’ve been taking some of the food and helping people at the local food bank and also giving to people who can’t feed their families NOW. Jim Bakker is a crock and a crook and he really needs to be stopped.

• waycross1948 says:

AMEN! What would Bakker have if he didn’t have “tribulation food” to sell. He can’t sell time shares anymore so he had to come up with some way of making money. FEAR is all he has to sell and there are plenty of people out there who are willing to buy into it. These people don’t have faith in God or they wouldn’t be buying into Bakker’s fear message. I watched him just ONE day out of curiosity – just to see what he was preaching now and was sickened by his message. I thought “he’s at it again, only this time, it’s a doomsday message that he’s preaching”. What in the world will it take for people who follow him to wake up to what he’s doing? I would not want to be Jim Bakker on judgement day!

12. Travelerforhim says:

Ditto and amen! To the comments above! My 88 year old mom drank the Jimmy Bakker Kool-Aid years ago. She lives in a constant state of fear over what is going to happen. Not only does she buy everything JB (and his guests) recommends but she buys one for everyone else as well. She spends most of her limited income supporting his ministry and buying his “love gifts.” All she wants to talk about is the coming apocalypse to anyone who will listen. She is in fantastic health and still has all her cognitive abilities but when it comes to JB…she is blind as the proverbial bat. He can do no wrong in her estimation (because she doesn’t believe he would ever scam anyone…that wouldn’t be Christlike!) and can’t understand why everyone thinks she’s demented. My sisters and I talk with her about it (he is scamming you) and we have to set good boundaries ( stop buying us stuff) but we have to be careful because it’s a relationship breaker. She has spent tens of thousands of dollars in the past few years and we are so frustrated. We can’t do anything legally because she is still completely competent and in charge of her finances. I’ve complained to Missouri Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint with the MO Attorney General’s Office who at least contacted Morningside (not much they can do). Elderly people are so vulnerable to being scared…makes me so angry that he getting rich off the old and vulnerable. If anyone one ideas beyond filing complaints about how to stop it I’d love to hear other ideas. Thanks for listening!

13. jeff j says:

Jim Bakker is a mid tribber, not a post tribber. This is the position of John Shorey his guest.

14. Scarlett says:

Jim Bakker has attempted to resurrect what the LORD tore down many years ago. It’s just as bad now as it was then. Red Alert!

15. Jane says:

Very Dear Christopher. You are 100% right. Nothing worse than peddling people with fear.

16. Randal says:

Jim is indeed Mid Trib, he believes the rapture takes place at the 7th trumpet, the same position you hold Christopher. While this isn’t the “jist” of your article, to be fair, it needs to be stated that you mispoke about him being post-trib.

• Randal,
      Recently Jim stated that he no longer holds to a mid-trib position but that the church will now go thru the entire tribulation, actually, he stated today on his show that he believes the great tribulation will begin this September when the economy tanks.

• waycross1948 says:

Christopher, tHis new belief concerns me even more! No one can or will know when the tribulation will begin, so, what will his followers do when tHe trib does NOT begin in Sept? One thing, it will identify him for what he is – a FALSE PROPHET! But there will still be those who will blindly follow him. Sad!

17. Randal says:

Both of your statements above are false. He just did a 2 week series a few weeks ago where he taught the timing of the rapture and that it was at the last trump, ie the 7th trump. Second, here is the clip from today’s episode. Listen to the 21:20 mark and you will hear that he says the Great Tribulation “could” start in the fall.

• waycross1948 says:

He shouldn’t be speculating on when the tribulation “could” start. The timing for that is God’s. There are so many things wrong with Bakker’s teachings this isn’t the tip of the iceberg! I gave him a second chance, truly hoping he had changed. But I was sadly disappointed. He’s still in the “game” of separating people from their money.

• Randal says:

Why wouldn’t a person know when the trib starts? 7 year peace treaty ring a bell? When this covenant is confirmed according to Daniel, we as Christians will know the time is at hand.

• waycross1948 says:

Just another attempt to push people into buying his products. BETTER BUY UP – THE TRIB COULD START IN THE FALL!!

18. David Nimphie says:

Liked comments about fear mongering ministry.

19. Denny says:

If Jim Baker’s heart is truly to lead sinners to cross, why does he not close his shows with sinners prayer? 99 percent of his shows do not.

• Mary says:

I don’t really know Jim Bakker, having just discovered him about a month ago. But what I do know is this. God has been dealing with me for some time now about preparing for hard times and judgment coming to America. I can/dehydrate vegetables and fruit and put back all I am able to do. We’ve worked hard to get out of debt which includes paying off the house and the cars. We raise our own food and will soon be drilling a well which will have a hand pump option, just in case. This is what the Lord has led us to do.

Now, that being said, I do wonder about Mr. Bakker. I watch him live on Roku. Sometimes the camera is live when it should not be, and I have seen the expression on his face and heard the tone in his voice when he was unguarded. Let’s just say that all is not as it appears to be when he is doing the show. Jim Jones comes to mind. I would rather face the wolves outside of Morningside than the lambs inside should it really come down to it. He is paranoid. He thinks people, even those who work for him and live in his community, are undermining him and are out to get him. He even laughed about the people in California whom he thinks are soon to be dead. Did the camera crew deliberately leave the video rolling or was it simply a mistake. I don’t know, but it opened my eyes.

20. RB says:

As Mark Twain said, “It’s easier to foll someone than it is to convince someone that they have been fooled…” I truly believe part of the reason why people continue to support Bakker is a lot like a gambling addictiona: “I’m gonna keep betting on this horse until it wins” “I’m gonna keep pulling the lever on this slot machine because the next pull HAS to be a winner…” mentality. Ego and pride play a major role here, because whatis the alternative for people who have been lifelong supporters of Bakker? They simply cannot and will nopt try to wrap their heads around the concept that they have been “taken”; scammed and fleeced out of their money to the tune of countless thousands of dollars for several decades. Who would want to admit that? So…onward they follow the rainmaker…

• Mike Murphy says:

Watching Jim Baker is like watching a circus freak show. All of his guest have serious theological issues.

21. Anthony says:

My mother is sold on Bakker, she plans to sell our house in Los Angeles area and move somewhere to another state where she’ll be safe when the chaos happens the economy collapses and martial law is imposed and we all end up eventually in a FEMA camp which she says no one will ever leave. This is very disturbing as I am not going with on her fear laden move to wherever she goes and as a result I will be homeless. And she laughs at me as though I am the one who is mislead and snickers even at how bad things will be for me when she moves out of here soon, and she thinks she is a good Christian! I watched her routinely watching Bakker’s show about prepping with the food, the solar generators and all and I keep saying this is like a Twilight Zone episode where people are manipulated to an extent of extreme measures and do crazy things becuase they believed something that was not real.

• It’s a grand deception. If Bakker really believed what he’s peddling, he would be pleading for the sinner to come to Christ while they still had time. But it’s about money and not the gospel.

• Mary says:

Indeed. He/we should be calling people to repentance. That being said, judgment is coming. The financial markets are already beginning to take the first blows. You do not have to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit (in other words secular economists are now sounding the warning) to know a storm such as we have never before seen is coming. It would be wise to prepare, but you do not have to spend a fortune to do it.

• William Cook says:

Bakker should be preaching salvation to the lost instead of peddling fear into the people’s hearts. Where does it state in the New Testament that we as believers have to stock up on goods in readiness for an economic collapse. The same God who looked after and fed His people the Israelites for 40 years in the desert is the same God who will look after and feed His people now. Start concentrating on the Lord Jesus instead of listening to fear-mongers the likes of Bakker. He is a wolf.

• Mary says:

Listen to your mom. She is wise. There is nothing wrong with moving to a new place. People do it all the time. From what you have said, I do not think fear is the issue. She is right. When the economy collapses, and it will, it’s just a matter of when, the last place you want to be is in the city. Unless, of course, the Lord is calling you to remain behind to help others, the best option is to move, just don’t go to Morningside. It’s a trap.

• Mary says:

• William Cook says:

Jim Bakker is doing exactly what he did in the 70\80’s, fleecing money from gullible people. He is only doing it in another shape. Why are we as believers so worried about stocking up if the economy collapses. The same God Yahweh who supplied the Israelites with food in the desert for 40 years is still the same God who will supply the needs of His beloved children should the economy collapse. He still hasn’t changed, still the same yesterday, today and forever. Stop focusing on what Jim Bakker and others like him are doing and focus on Christ and trust Him to look after us during any economic collapse or whatever. Instead of fleecing money from poor misled and frightened people…he should be preaching salvation to the lost. Bottom line, Bakker is a wolf.

• William Cook says:

Your mother should place her trust in Jesus and not in this wolf Bakker. If she is a believer then her trust and faith should be in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to supply her needs in any economic collapse. For the same God who looked after the Israelites for 40 years in the wilderness…is the same God who will look after His Son’s children today. Our trust and faith should not be in men who peddle fear…but in the Great God and Saviour Jesus Christ, who will supply our every need according to His riches in glory. Scripture is clear on this in Matthew 6:33, “But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you”. God will not allow His children to suffer because the world’s economy has collapsed…because He wants us to trust Him.

you people need to seek gods words and follow own your hearts! we should not through stones!!!! we all have fallen short of gods laws. in time we will all have to face hard times and preparing for it is not a crime… give the man a break! you can say your lilly white and without stains?!!! if Bakker is so bad then he will have to face his maker as we all will!

• waycross1948 says:

To Anomymous – We ARE seeking God’s word and he commands us to identify false prophets. Bakker fits the requirements. Yes! Everyone deserves a second chance and he’s had his!! I personally forgave him and prayed he had changed – sadly he has not. He’s still bilking people out of their money only this time he’s using fear to do it. GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF FEAR! and Bakker has based his entire ministry on fear. Instead of teaching people to put their lives in God’s hands, he wants them to put their faith in his Tribulation food and water. Just read the description of a false prophet and you’ll see Bakker. I was SO ready to give him another chance – sadly he fell right back into old ways. He’s more concerned with making money than reaching souls for the kingdom.

23. traildustfotm says:

Thank you Christopher. My pastors have recently come under the spell of the fear being sold by Jim Bakker and Rick Joyner. Our once beautiful church has become very dark and heavy with end times fear. As a result, I just wrote this linked article: http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2015/09/09/false-prophets-warning/

As for judging, you will know them by their fruits.

25. Robert says:

Jim Bakker is doing what he has always done, fleece the flock. He has had at least five 501c3 incorporated ministries and even while he was in prison still had a sufficient income stream.. Tammy Faye handled it until the divorce and it fell to Tammy Sue until he was released. I seriously doubt that he was ever called by God because the man is a liar and has admitted he preached the prosperity gospel, a false gospel, although we are to believe God was still directing his every building project and fund raiser. But alas, God did not tell him to change his message or clean up his
    life while operating PTL.
    He has stated on his current show that Alan Dershowitz got his case thrown out on appeal and no such thing occurred. All that was ever overturned was the length of his sentence. Ha was and is a convicted felon on multiple fraud charges.
    He has stated on his current show that he was set up by those he trusted most at PTL but he never mentions those three men were convicted too and two of them served just as much time as he.
    His current ministry employs him and Lori and their relatives, including brothers, sisters, and their spouses, mother, all the children. Their current ministry pays for all expenses of their multiple vacations each year sometimes even with children accompanying them.
    He has spent untold thousands on his statues of Jesus which are simply graven images.
    When the Assembly of God was meeting to decide if his credentials should be taken away he was given the opportunity to be there and defend himself which he declined to do. His credentials were not removed because of the Hahn affair but his refusal to appear and answer questions about his other sexual immoralities.
    He has often lied about his 31 things God told him about back on New Year’s eve 1999. Any diligent search and the actual list can be found and some things he says now were never on that original list, certainly not the 911 attack.
    What he has done with his new television ministry is give a voice to every end time, domionist, apostle, new age prophet, and so called pastor to sell every heretical book they have written.
    His theology is confusing at best and his knowledge of scripture is woefully inadequate. He butchers scripture as well as the greek.
    Lastly, one cannot obtain an audited financial statement of his ministry and this is disturbing since all of his operation is a corporation that he owns even if through Lori. So there really is no church and one day they could just sell everything and move on down the road.
    God calls the man of God as a pastor and has a church call him where God wants him, not where the man wants. Pastoring is a hard calling and one that calls for diligent study, prayer and growing with God all the while feeding his sheep. But for some reason God supposedly called Jim, Lori, Kevin, Ricky and Zach all to be pastors of I don’t know.
    What is the most reprehensible is his purchased donor lists so crammed with older people, mostly widows and through questionable projects and fear he takes all their savings. My brother in Christ? I don’t think so.

26. Michael Maddox says:

Jim Bakker is Bible ignorant. He plays on people’s ignorance of the Word of God. We are Pre-Tribulation, not Mid or Post-Tribulation. 1Thess 1:10~~1Thess 5:9~~Rev 3:10~~ Luke 21:36.
    Jim is all about lining his pockets and he doesn’t care how he goes about it as long as he can skirt the law. I believe he is right about a financial collapse, but God always takes care of his children. But to be a child of God you must know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

• Mary says:

“God always takes care of his children…” I know you mean well, but you are misleading people. Sometimes God lifts His hand and allows bad things to happen to good people, even His children. What about the Christians in the Middle East that are dying for their faith? Does God not love them? Were they not good enough? Hardly. They have become martyrs for their faith. What if God asks it of us? Would we be as brave as our brothers and sister in the Middle East.

Make no mistake. We as a country have sinned, and as Christians we stood by and did nothing when we could have done something. What did we do when prayer was removed from the schools in 1963? What did we do when Bible reading was removed? What did we do when the Supreme Court legalized abortion in 1973? And what have we done since marriage, God’s ordained design for man, was nullified June 26 of this year. I’ll tell you what we have done. Nothing. We partied on in our entertainment filled churches where salvation is becoming less and less of a topic to be mentioned. No, the Church has sinned, and God is not happy. Judgement is coming to America.

As for Jim Bakker, I’ll leave him to God who knows him better than I, or any or you, for that matter. Do I follow him or even subscribe to his teachings? No. But I do follow Jesus, and I know what He says in His word. He has been my one friend for all these years, and His word has been my comfort from the spring of my life and now into the winter. Just something to think about.

• William Cook says:

Well spoken Mary. Not only Jim Bakker is doing this, but many other Word of Faith prosperity pimps and hustlers are lining their pockets on the ignorance of undiscerning sheeple.

27. Mark says:

Your right about one thing, trust in the lord.
    BUT! where I believe you are wrong is that you are ignoring the warnings to be ready.
    Noah was mocked for building the arek, yet he was the only survivor. Do you know how many woman and children died in the flood?
    AS IN THE DAYS OF NIAH, SO WILL THE COMING OF THE SON OF MAN BE.
    Noah labored for 120 years to build that ark.
    BAKKER is a broken old man and very honest.
    The Bible makes it clear that those who don’t prepare for this will suffer.
    These are revelatiin and days are completely separate and in a completely different category than the gospel of grace.
    These are days of purification of the Saints, and days of judgement of the world.
    Days of WRATH.

28. David says:

Jim Baker does not believe we will go thru the entire 7 year tribulation. You lie. Your facts are wrong. He is unsure of when the rapture will take place and has stated this numerous times but he is more of a pre-wrath persuasion, which is Revelation 6:17. Thus, he leans towards a rapture in or around this scripture. Jim does not lean toward man but believes like Joseph we should prepare and I agree 100%. You are nothing but a hack and a liar. Get a life loser.

29. gwaltluv says:

All of you are wrong, Olodumare is the one true creator of this universe and all life in it. Go forth and make Olodumare a sandwich.

30. John Harrington says:

Christopher,I’m typing this as I watch the Jim Bakker show w/Jonathon Cahn as guest.I cannot believe some of the comments from people who support his ministry!Generators and survival food and poor Jonathan having to listen to it when I know he just wants to inform believers and warn them of what’s coming.Part of what’s coming and is here now is a “spirit of confusion” in our country in general and a possible deception of even the ELECT!!

• John says:

Having watched Jim Bakkers show for about a week, it’s about buying food, generators and solar panels. The entire hour program is about selling. I have never heard the salvation message preached once or has anyone on the show prayed for people. Perhaps they should just call it the Christian QVC program. Despite what may be coming the primary purpose of every ministry should be the salvation message. Thanks so much for this article.