JOEL OSTEEN: IN HIS OWN WORDS

Posted: September 5, 2014 in HOT TOPICS
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

joel-osteen

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)

The apostle Paul warned us that in the last days, there would arise teachers, speaking eloquent words, enticing many that have itching ears who would run to them, desiring their particular gospel they would teach and ultimately lead them astray. (2 Timothy 4:3)

There is no question that in these last hours we are seeing more and more, false teachers begin to give rise with all manner of false teachings in our world today, but even more so in the church. Yet, with all of these warnings the apostle Paul would give to the body of Christ about what would eventually come (and is here presently) still, there are many who would rebuke any strong warning about those whom have clearly shown by their own words, that they do not truly believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ and even worse, they reject much of the word itself that would call men to repentance. Such is the case of Joel Osteen.

I could write an entire book on what is wrong with Joel Osteen, and yet many would accuse me of falsely accusing a brother in the Lord. But would they be correct? Is Joel Osteen, the man who the world respects and listens to, a genuine man of God? Is he truly a preacher of the gospel? Or worse yet, is he nothing more than a wolf? A cleverly disguised servant of Satan, whose sole intention is to break the standards of the gospel in favor of preaching another gospel altogether?

The word of God warns us that ministers of Satan would look at act and even preach like genuine preachers, they would have the form of righteousness, but they would be masters of deception. (2 Corinthians 11:15)   The apostle Paul stated it like this as it regards false messengers, “For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:13)

So for the purpose of this article, instead of highlighting my opinion or belief about Osteen, I thought I’d allow Mr. Osteen to state his own beliefs for all to hear and understand, so that others may line up what he believes in with the word of God so that they can make their own decision about Joel Osteen. Every quote or statement mentioned in the following quotations are by Joel Osteen himself.

“We’re all about building people up. We’re all about helping people reach their full potential. We don’t push some kind of religion… all we push is joy and peace and victory through Jesus Christ. …Our message every single week -is through faith in God you can live an overcoming life of victory … I believe that’s the message this generation needs to hear. We’ve heard a lot about the judgment of God and what we can’t do and what’s going to keep us out of heaven. But it’s time people start hearing about the goodness of God, about a God that loves them. A God that believes in them. A God that wants to help them. That’s our message here at Lakewood.”

KING: How about issues that the church has feelings about? Abortion? Same-sex marriages?
OSTEEN: Yeah. You know what, Larry? I don’t go there. I just …
KING: You have thoughts, though.
OSTEEN: I have thoughts. I just, you know, I don’t think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be. I don’t think abortion is the best. I think there are other, you know, a better way to live your life. But I’m not going to condemn those people. I tell them all the time our church is open for everybody.

Larry appears surprised at Osteen’s waffling. Larry allows Osteen to clarify his confusing position. And again Osteen blatantly contradicts the words of the Lord Jesus Christ.

KING: You don’t call them sinners?

OSTEEN: I don’t.

KING: Is that a word you don’t use?

OSTEEN: I don’t use it. I never thought about it. But I probably don’t. But most people already know what they’re doing wrong. When I get them to church I want to tell them that you can change. There can be a difference in your life. So I don’t go down the road of condemning. — (interview with Larry King on June 20th, 2005)

KING: What if you’re Jewish or Muslim, you don’t accept Christ at all?
OSTEEN: You know, I’m very careful about saying who would and wouldn’t go to heaven. I don’t know ..

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They’re wrong, aren’t they?
OSTEEN: Well, I don’t know if I believe they’re wrong. I believe here’s what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God will judge a person’s heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don’t know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don’t know. I’ve seen their sincerity. So I don’t know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

CALLER: Hello, Larry. You’re the best, and thank you, Joe — Joel — for your positive messages and your book. I’m wondering, though, why you side-stepped Larry’s earlier question about how we get to heaven? The Bible clearly tells us that Jesus is the way, the truth and the light and the only way to the father is through him. That’s not really a message of condemnation but of truth.

OSTEEN: Yes, I would agree with her. I believe that. . .

KING: So then a Jew is not going to heaven?

OSTEEN: No. Here’s my thing, Larry, is I can’t judge somebody’s heart. You know? Only God can look at somebody’s heart, and so — I don’t know. To me, it’s not my business to say, you know, this one is or this one isn’t. I just say, here’s what the Bible teaches and I’m going to put my faith in Christ. And I just I think it’s wrong when you go around saying, you’re saying you’re not going, you’re not going, you’re not going, because it’s not exactly my way. I’m just…

KING: But you believe your way.

OSTEEN: I believe my way. I believe my way with all my heart.

KING: But for someone who doesn’t share it is wrong, isn’t he?

OSTEEN: Well, yes. Well, I don’t know if I look at it like that. I would present my way, but I’m just going to let God be the judge of that. I don’t know. I don’t know.

KING: So you make no judgment on anyone?

OSTEEN: No. But I…

And here Larry really tosses Joel a soft-ball. How about a God-defying atheist? And again, Osteen will not confess that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way of salvation.

KING: What about atheists?

OSTEEN: You know what, I’m going to let someone — I’m going to let God be the judge of who goes to heaven and hell. I just — again, I present the truth, and I say it every week. You know, I believe it’s a relationship with Jesus. But you know what? I’m not going to go around telling everybody else if they don’t want to believe that that’s going to be their choice. God’s got to look at your own heart. God’s got to look at your heart, and only God knows that.

“I believe that God’s breathed this life into every single person,” Osteen said at the time. “We’re all on a journey. Nobody’s perfect. The Bible says that a sin is pride, a sin is selfish ambition. We tend to pick out these certain things, but I believe that every person is made in the image of God, and you got to accept them as they are, as they’re on their journey.

“Again, scripture teaches that the way people are going to know his disciples is by our love for one another,” he continued. “So I’m not here, preaching hate, pushing people down. I’m not here to tell everyone what they’re doing wrong.” — Interview with Huffington Post.

‘It doesn’t matter who likes you or doesn’t like you; all that matters is that God likes you. He accepts you; He approves of you,” Zepps stated, reading from Osteen’s book. “Is that true for gay men or true for homosexuals?”

“Absolutely,” Osteen replied. (Huffington Post)

“So I want you to know this morning: Just do good for your own self. Do good because God wants you to be happy. When you come to church, when you worship Him, you’re not doing it for God really. You’re doing it for yourself, because that’s what makes God happy. Amen?” (Victoria Osteen)

Inteviewer: “[In your new book, you write that] to become a better you, you must be positive towards yourself, develop better relationships, embrace the place where you are. Not one mention of God in that. Not one mention of Jesus Christ in that.”

Osteen: “That’s just my message. There is scripture in there that backs it all up. But I feel like, Byron, I’m called to help people…how do we walk out the Christian life? How do we live it? And these are principles that can help you. I mean, there’s a lot better people qualified to say, ‘Here’s a book that going to explain the scriptures to you.’ I don’t think that’s my gifting.” — 60 Minutes interview

“We don’t talk about the Cross; that’s too negative”.

“I believe that [Mormons] are Christians. … I don’t know if it’s the purest form of Christianity, like I grew up with. But you know what, I know Mormons. I hear Mitt Romney—and I’ve never met him—but I hear him say, ‘I believe Jesus is the Son of God,’ ‘I believe he’s my Savior,’ and that’s one of the core issues.

“I’m sure there are other issues that we don’t agree on. But you know, I can say that the Baptists and the Methodists and the Catholics don’t all agree on everything. So that would be my take on it.”

WALLACE: So, for instance, when people start talking about Joseph Smith, the founder of the church, and the golden tablets in upstate New York, and God assumes the shape of a man, do you not get hung up in those theological issues?

OSTEEN: I probably don’t get hung up in them because I haven’t really studied them or thought about them. And you know, I just try to let God be the judge of that. I mean, I don’t know. — Chris Wallace interview FOX NEWS.

“I like the fact that this pope is trying to make the church larger, not smaller,” Osteen said. “He’s not pushing people out but making the church more inclusive. That resonated with me.”
The truth is, if one will examine everything Joel Osteen has stated concerning false religions, the cross, homosexuality – everything to the word of God, one will finally come to realize that Joel Osteen is preaching another gospel altogether.
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.” Galatians 1:8
Comments
  1. Wally says:

I have a copy of that interview with Larry King. It’s was eye opening in many ways. 1) That he was comfortable enough to say what he did on a national news network 2) and this is probably even more telling, not Paul Crouch, not Daystar, not the Assemblies of God, Church of God, not any preacher or evangelist with a major voice stood up and denounced what he said, with the exception of one.

2. waycross48 says:

Christopher, it seems to me that for an educated “man of God”, Joel Osteen speaks a lot of “I don’t know” in his interviews. He skirts issues that should be the core of any Bible believing church, of any minister of the Gospel. He fails to stand up for the Biblical truth concerning same sex marriage, or against religions that don’t have Jesus Christ at their center and he even fails to speak out against Atheist beliefs. Jesus was NOT all love and gentleness. He was ANGRY when He threw the money changers out of the temple. We see God’s anger expressed many times in the Bible. God was angry when the children of Israel went back to worshipping idols. So, you cannot base an entire ministry on a “feel good” gospel and omit teaching against sin. People today need to hear the TRUTH – not just a teaching that allows them to feel ok about any and everything they choose to do. “It’s ok, live however you want, God will love you anyway”. He does love us, and He forgives us, but He expects a level of devotion from His people. He expects us to live a life of consecration and free of deliberate sin. God does forgive us when we sin, but He would not have us live a life filled with sin and never hear the consequences of such a life. This is where Joel Osteen is failing the thousands who sit under his ministry each week. He is failing them in a tremendous way by not preaching the FULL gospel – by not preaching against sin and the price we pay when we sin against God. A ministry that teaches only love and acceptance of everything and one that stands up for NOTHING – is not of God. Joel Osteen is leading people into a false sense of security by not teaching them that they must be accountable for the way they live their lives. I pray that God will convict his spirit for his failure to preach and teach the full truth of God’s Word. He has the ability to reach more people than most ministries – therefore, he has an even greater responsibility to teach the truth.

He is scared to have people turned away by talking about sin.But it is not numbers that the Lord is looking 4 it is quality.B4 He died He prayed a prayer in John 17 and in it He said I have kept all except the son of perdition that the scripture might be fulfilled.The Lord touched me and made me realize that b4 the disciples had even started preaching with the gift of the Holy Spirit Jesus knew come rain or come shine the 11 would make heaven.That is what the Lord Jesus wants sure candidates for heaven.A church without spot or blemish.Masses followed Jesus but He only revealed the secrets of the kingdom to the disciplesThose that He knew would follown Him of a surety.People’s perception of success in the kingdom of God is wrong these days.My whole life may only amount to one person believing but it is that person’s destiny that will lay waste and destroy the powers of darkness greatly and bring the Lord’s kingdom.I believe it is to pray for him to be bold about the rebuke of sin and that he shouldn’t think that by rebuking he is condemning.Even if it cuts his numbers down.

3. TLA says:

1 Corinthians 5:12 says, “What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside.” Throughout the gospels and epistles deals with wickedness from within. Yes, we are to share the truth in love, but we are not to fight. Paul said to live at peace with everybody as much as possible. Jesus or Paul never fought with heathen but fought with religious hypocrites. It was the Pharisees who persecuted both Christ and Paul. As it is today things never change. The real enemy is not atheists, but is the wolves within. Hypocrites get caught up in this “christian nation” nonsense, which is opposite of what Christ taught in Matthew 20:25-28 in that he came to serve, not to dominate. America is not a theocracy! A good book I highly recommend is “The Myth Of A Christian Nation” with the subtitle “How the Quest For Political Power Is Destroying The Church,” by Gregory A. Boyd. It points out our nation’s past of wickedness of slavery, mistreating the natives, and so on. These are not godly christian fruits and so is blasphemy to say this nation is christian. Jesus said that by their fruits we will know them. Well we know our nation’s wicked fruits and they continue on. Our nation’s capitol is full of pagan idols and graven images. It is the most masonic city on earth. How is that christian? There are occult symbols on the dollar bill. All this is proof of ultimate hypocrisy of those who claim we are a christian nation when they know nothing of what is going on. Those who truly have the Holy Spirit will know the truth as he is the spirit of truth and will not lead anyone into lies. Those who are lead in lies do not have him and have no discernment at all and is why most all are being led into some kind of nonsense or other. I am not defending Olsteen as he is just a part of this grand apostatsy of the church, which is nothing at all like the early church of the apostles. The early church truly dealt with life and death issues, but the modern american crybaby fusses over prayer in school, which Jesus pointed out that hypocrites pray in public. The apostasy madness is endless. The church are just modern Pharisees who desire to be seen on men. The true are only a small remnant who actually obey him, just as Jesus said that broad is the path that leads to destruction. These churches are the broad path (90%). Luke 13:24, ” Make every effort to enter the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.” Anyone is naive to think that the statistics of 90% or more are true christians. These hypocrites have pretense about either facing persecution now or in the future when the antichrist comes to power. Well then why did Jesus warn of false christs if he comes out and attacks all who claim to be christian? Jesus’ warning was aimed at believers being deceived. How could the antichrist deceive anyone in accepting him and his mark if he starts out attacking 90% of the nation that claims to be christian? It is only later on after all have taken his mark that he shows his true colors. Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath as so stated in Matthew 12, which none of the churches teach because they do not keep the 4th commandment. Only the true remnant will be able to see through the lies of the coming antichrist because as Jesus said that the truth shall set you free. Jesus said that his sheep knows his voice and this proves that most who claim him are false as they listen to the voice of a stranger. Jesus said that if you love me you will keep my commands. Most of the churches revile his commands. Their antichrist spirits are as obvious as can be.

How dare you post a blog to judge someone who accepts all people and obeys the bible when it says judge not lest you be judged. This is a true man of God. I believe you to be the false prophet.

If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

LEAVE THIS MAN ALONE!! Everybody’s so quick to find ‘fault’ in everybody n make some kind of Drama!! Get a life!!

6. Ken Nastrom says:

Good Morning
    I am in tears, to finally find someone willing to call it like it is. Abortion and “same sex marriage” are issues at the heart of God. What are the female evangelist doing in this war “nothing” Why. $123,000,000.

Jesus said there would be False Christ”s/ False Prophets.
    My favorite was Rick Warren and Mr Olsteen arguining on King live who would sell more books, or the CNN host telling TD Jakes in his opinion he does not act like the biblical Jesus. Jakes answer “that was a different Jesus”. Oh wait it could be Olsteen saying that the border skirmish of 2005 was Armegedon.
    Thanks for your ear

7. Lala says:

In reading this I truly believe Mr. Osteen is only being careful in his words. I disagree that this article proves anything other than his love and compassion for God’s people. I agree as well! You cannot read a persons heart. Only God can say who goes to heaven or hell! I’m proud of those answers. I hope to stay humble if ever in this situation! Father be with us! In Jesus’
    name Amen!