T.D.Jakes

Dear Bishop Jakes,

For days, I have thought how should I approach this subject of which I am about to dive into with you, seeing how we have neither met, nor have we any mutual friends between us, still I find myself in a perplexing situation, and that is, how do I ask you a simple question to which I know would generate a response? I’m pretty sure a phone call won’t work as you have a private number. I thought maybe a phone call to your main office might be a good way of reaching you, but your personal secretary has made it all but impossible to people who are “unknown”. So I thought, how could I get your attention which would garner some type of response from you over a deep, penetrating question which still is lingering in my mind? I decided in the end that the best method would be to use my leverage as a blogger (which has over 700,000 readers) which would (I hope) have enough support that your office might respond to a simple question, and that is; What happened?

Now, I know to open up a letter to such an influential individual as yourself with the question “What happened?” might seem a little off, but it’s a genuinely real question to which I truly believe needs to be asked, what happened? Let me even delve further into the question I’m asking, which is, what happened to you and your position as a pastor as it relates to homosexuality and same sex marriage?

Pastor Jakes, you recently stated something on the issue of homosexuality in an interview with the Huffington Post in which you stated as it regards to your personal position on the subject, and I quote; “evolved and evolving”. Sir, what does that mean when you say ‘evolved and evolving?’. You see the dilemma I and many others are having concerning your recent comments on this matter? I certainly hope so because it’s beginning to sound less like a man who is remaining firm on the word of God, and more like a man who is becoming influenced by the social attitudes of our culture. This, in my opinion, is of grave concern. So I go back to my original question – What happened? Why are you obviously changing your views toward something (homosexuality) and not remaining faithful to the word of God?

Some of your followers would say you didn’t mean that, that it was simply a misquote, others would suggest that I am taking your words out of context, but here’s the truth to the matter, you didn’t say just one thing, you stated several. In the same interview that I quoted you, you stated, regarding to homosexuals and church, “The church should have the right to have its own convictions and values; if you don’t like those convictions and values [and] you totally disagree with it, don’t try to change my house, move into your own … and find somebody who gets what you get about faith,” Further, you stated “Absolutely… I think it is going to be diverse from church to church. Every church has a different opinion on the issue and every gay person is different,”.  “And I think that to speak that the church—the black church, the White church or any kind of church you wanna call it—are all the same, is totally not true.” (source)

So Bishop, how can you suggest that the church should have the right to its own convictions and values outside the word of God when it comes to homosexuality? Where is that option found in the word of God? Actually, the word tells us in 2 Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;” this means that there is only one measure by which we judge truth – through the word. For that same word is not only inspired, but it is anointed by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, this includes Paul’s admonition for Christian behavior when it comes to a lifestyle of sin – it cannot mix. Yet in the above quotes, you seem to give an indication that not only are your views on homosexuality and same sex marriage changing (evolved and evolving) but you suggest that each church can have a different opinion, even when that opinion runs contrary to the word of God. That sir is heresy!

Let me explain why I would even suggest that what you stated borders on heresy, let alone false. Paul states in Galatians 1:8 “But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.”  It is another gospel to suggest that the church can formulate another point of view counter to what God has already deemed as false. It is what Paul calls another gospel. Paul further states in Galatians 5:19- “Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”  This includes the acts of homosexuality.

Sir, you yourself knows that same sex marriage is wrong, you further know that those who live that lifestyle is equally wrong, and you further know that sin, regardless of what it is, separates man from God and the only solution is to repent and come to the cross. Yet you seem to have taken another view altogether on this matter, which begs the question once more – what happened? Has Oprah Winfrey influenced you that much? Has your success allowed you to forsake the call God has given you to stand for the word above all else? Including popular opinion, even at risk of being labeled intolerant? Or worse – a bigot?

Sir, only you can answer these questions I’ve asked. Only you can address this troubling and disturbing issue that has many wondering why you are waffling on this issue, which can only be resolved by defining for the record if you believe homosexuality is sin, but not only sin, but those who partake of it will not inherit the kingdom of God? Can you answer that? Will you answer that? I await your response.

Christopher Gregory

email: christopher152@gmail.com

Comments
  1. BISHOP Theodore R Bacon Sr says:

Praise the Lord greetings to all red this comment , ROM . 3 : 3 ,4
    For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the ( FAITH ) of God without effect ?
    Ver.4) God forbid : Yea , let God be true , but every man A liar; as it is written , THAT THOU MIGHTIEST BE JUSTIFIED IN THY SAYING , AND MIGHTEST OVERCOME WHEN THOU ART JUDGED ; in my conclusion every man will be judged by the word of God and for their disobedience to the Word of God every soul will be judged by the Lord Jesus Christ the Lord , and the Lord will judge .

• I agree, yet it is important we ask questions. It’s not wrong to ask why someone believes what they believe – correct?

Amen. We all want answers from TD Jakes. I used to call him Pastor. No more. A Pastor, teacher, preacher, etc., TEACHES from the word, believes what they teach ABOVE all else.

• Sam says:

Do not write what is not there. GOD does not need FAITH. Jesus Christ did not ‘need’ FAITH. You can argue the second point maybe (because Jesus was a full human also) however, what do you mean by ‘the (FAITH) of God’ when you clearly see those words are interspersed (not in the original text). This idea that GOD the Creator of us ALL would need ‘faith.’ It is both illogical and heretical to imply or state this, because if God needed faith, WHOM would He need to look to for salvation? You are wrong. This theology is of the New Age fools.

2. clinton alexander says:

I used to watch td jakes and he is one of those name it and claim preachers prosperity teaching, i will say this he is one of the false prophets wolf in sheeps clothing

3. Very good letter Christopher; as a prominent pastor, one who influences so many, he does need to confirm his stance on homosexuality. It is truly a shame to see so many of our once powerful preachers of the Word of God succumb to the lies of Satan and lead so many down that path away from the Lord with him. I can only pray that pastor Jakes reads your letter and wakes up to this error before it is too late!
    May the Lord bless you in your service to Him. Maranatha!!

• Sam says:

I do not judge when i say this; but the homosexual spirit is clearly unnatural. I myself have often had difficulty with lasciviousness and lust; but much of that before marriage (since marriage is God’s chosen means to provide for man’s sexual needs). So, i don’t wish to appear judgmental. However, when i was in London a few years ago i saw men kissing men openly on the street in boyfriend/girlfriend fashion. We all are aware(? are we) of the thousands of people today marching to defend ‘gay rights’ in Western countries. In my own home country of Canada, i have learned that my Premier (Ontario) is a woman who likes to lick vaginas. At the end of the day, a soul that partakes in filthiness cannot continue to do so and believe that God will accept them in their defiled state; in fact, they are often well aware the Holy Spirit has been leading them to resist their unnatural lusts but, sadly they don’t want to or don’t have the strength to resist. To me, those souls who wish to leave their unnatural lusts and the lifestyle that goes with it are the ones we should welcome into our churches; the others we must leave for God to judge (while seeking to reach them with all of HIS power and not our own). The Word says that “whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.” Why would homosexuals be excluded from these persons?

• ajc says:

Yeah let’s not discourage the ones who want to change and know it’s wrong. Your reference to your Premier was a little vulgar. I don’t think I would run up to a gay and start telling them how wrong and bad they are unless I had the spirit’s prompting. I’m not so sure Paul should have been provoked into telling the sinner (ruler) that his marriage to his brother’s wife was wrong. Lost his head because of it. If we want to tell the gays, let’s also tell the adulterers etc. ajc Let’s also go into the stores and tell them that having filthy magazines are wrong and don’t forget the topless bars etc.

4. Arthur Mergler says:

what did Apostle Paul do re- Sexual vice? 1 Corinthians 7

Great! The question ‘What happened?’ needs to be answered by Bishop Jakes. Until then I reserve my comments over this burning and serious issue.

6. Reblogged this on kingdomwoman3 and commented:
    “Inquiring minds want to know”… When did the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST change? GOD’S Word shall stand FOREVER!!!

Amen. IT DID NOT CHANGE. PEOPLE did. It’s a sad world we live in when money, status, etc., influence our lives and the word of the Living God

7. chief apostle fredrick wilson says:

He is not the only one that can answer that question. The truth of the matter is this. Bishop t.d. Jake’s is just that, a BISHOP. He is not an Apostle of Christ, who alone is authorized by Christ or God to set doctrine in the church. Bishop Jakes was raised in the traditional church were the Office of both apostles and prophets has been denied by the church ITself for centuries. He as well as others deny such verses of the scriptures concerning true apostolic order in Gods house. 1 cor. 2:28. In Titus 1:5-9 we were taught that the office of a bishop was to be appointed by an Apostle of Christ, not necessary by God. It is NOT a FIVEFOLD MINISTRY OFFICE CALL BY GOD, BUT ONLY A DESIRED OFFICE.Bishop Jakes like all other Bishops has no Apostolic COVERINGS and tend to think they are not subject to anyone but God. 1 cor. States otherwise, NOW GOD HAS SET IN THE CHURCH FIRST (meaning in command) APOSTLES, and secondarily (meaning second in command) PROPHETS. BUT because of Bishops prior training in the thing’s of the Spirit, he has ignored such verses as this. And furthermore, his views has changed or is now evolvin because he unlike the apostle & prophet have no revelation knowledge concerning the mind of Christ or the Will of God for the body of Christ. Eph. 3:5. And yes, you are 100% correct to say he is now preaching another gospel. Simply because he like so many others have become man pleasers as Gal. 1:10 warns us.Bishop TD close association with Oprah and Tyler Perry has taken its toll on him. Not to mention his ties with Hollywood itself. And he is not the only Bishop caught up in this heresy either. Bishop Joel Osteen, who recently join ranks with the Pope and One World Religion. Bishop Noel Jones busy getting paid while he plays preachers of LA. Our Bishop are about to find out, they are ALL OUT OF ORDER PERIOD. And as God is now calling his church BACK to Apostolic order. Many will lose their rank and be sit down as new leadership come on the scene. Chief Apostle of Christ: Fredrick Wilson, and Priest & King of God. Rev. 1:5-6 – 1 peter 2:9

• Sam says:

I guess you are a ‘pentecostal charismatic?’ there is also NO support for your church’s use of ‘Apostleship’ and the idea of ‘coverings’ (i suppose you mean ‘anointings?’) is not even Scriptural, but a modern-day abberation developed by unsound men who don’t know the Lord. http://www.the-highway.com/tongues_Dollar.html

• Sam says:

Actually, it won’t be ‘Many will lose their rank and be sit down as new leadership come on the scene.’ No; it will be as Christ said: “….Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels….” KJV, Matthew, 25:41. Modern paid preachers…while eternal souls fall into a lost eternity each day (are you aware 150,000 persons die each day here? What percentage, do you think, are actually born again?), these paid preachers on international television suck up their $1 million dollar annual or even monthly salaries or incomes, while 30,000 children die each day from basic malnutrition. And the church would love to have it so, apparently. Anyone willing to join me to help save the poor in Africa and other countries?

8. smooothlegs says:

He JESUS had me Stop watching with that woman thou art loosed business! the screaming Jake’s doing every thing the world does – and going on National TV and saying JESUS is the ‘ commodity’ –
    was a bit much for me -! i am not surprised ! I See PERSECUTION refinement coming to a Nation who watches far far too much

I guess we need to just love people and let God judge, who is right or wrong, the Word is clear .God said and I will be their judge. We probably ought to leave people with the “man shall not lay with man, and woman shall not lay with woman”, once the truth has been imparted it is up to the individual to obey is it not? If this be true who indeed are we to judge? (New to this Jesus speach)

• The apostle Paul had much to say against those who were preaching a false gospel, who were allowing wicked ideas into the body of Christ and he called out their names for all to know. So we go by Paul’s actions.

10. Maria says:

The apostasy of the church is beginning to happen in our days, though it may be subtle, it is starting. Hold fast to the word of God without compromise. Apostasy will affect all denominations of Christianity. There is a subtle brainwashing that comes from mainstream media, and anyone not knowledgable of Gods word can fall for it.

11. Pastor T.D.,my name is Linda Hill,I was abused as a young person by my first husband.I started this book and was unable to complete.I wanted to help just one person and I just cant seem to completed,people have called me an it is still locked up.I saw your show with you and Oprah and I am just looking for some advice.

12. yolanda saldana says:

i need prayer please for my son .please pray for me to stay in the wroad because god can change things.

13. ajc says:

O.K. Just don’t watch T.D. Jakes. If we go after all these people, we will not have time to work out our own salvation and will have no peace. Homosexuality is (don’t know what word to use) but so is marriage when there is adultery or lust. There is so much bad out there and always has been. What about the temple prostitutes (men and Women). Things are the same as they have always been. Really bad. We could expose someone and something every hour of every day but it would eventually do us in. Let God judge them. I don’t even understand why Trump got in but I am going to let it go and just ask for God’s protection. Most man to woman marriages now a days are no cleaner or better than homo marriages. Marriage is just the legal part. If they weren’t married, they would still be doing the same thing. Let’s talk Christ. build each other’s faith up in stead. We are set apart. ajc